Shorcuts through modern day life.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

How to Get Direct Buy to Stop Calling

Direct Buy used to call us all the time. I told them to remove us off of their list. I told them I would never buy their crap. I told them I was going through bankruptcy. Several times I told them I was dead. Nothing stopped them.
When they called last time I spoke with them and went something like this:
"Hi this is Joe from DirectBuy."
"Hi Joe."
"We'd like to offer you some terrific {blah-blah-blah}"
"Joe? What's your last name?"
"My, uh? It's [Jonesly]."
Let him go on for a while, then kill the call. Just hang up. Then go to the phone book and look up your Direct Buy representative. If you're lucky, you'll get a hit. Phone them right away. If they're pitching to you about the wonders at Direct Buy, they won't be at home, so you'll get their voice mail. Leave a pithy message like this:
"Hi, Direct Buy sales associate [Joe Jonesly]. Thank you for calling us uninvited. We have an important offer. You're not home, so we'll call later. We'll be happy to call again and again until we can tell you about our special offer. Thank you, [Joe Jonesly] of [123 Example Street]."
This will give Direct Buy some important information: you know where their associates live and you can contact them as often as you wish to discuss things with them on your terms. Soon after I made this call, Direct Buy stopped calling. By putting yourself on a 'weirdo' list you take yourself off of their prospective clients list. They didn't listen when I said stop. They didn't listen when I said I could buy their stuff. They didn't listen after I told them the person they were calling was dead.

If the phone number look-up trick won't work and you really want them to stop calling, go into their offices. The salespeople will have their business cards readily available. Find the salespeople with the odd names (eg. the further from Smith or Lee the better). Then, write a polite letter asking that Direct Buy ceases calling them, find the home address of the salespeople and mail that to the home address of the salesperson.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home